Why do my keycaps have chips/marks on them?

Modified on Thu, 15 Sep 2022 at 05:03 PM

These markings are known as sprue marks. This is normal and is necessary for injection moulded products.

DailyClack, as a vendor, places many orders with a wide range of different keycap manufacturers located at many different locations.

For reference:

  • CRP Hammerworks - China
  • Keyrelative - China
  • Signature Plastics - United States of America
  • Uniqey GMK - Germany

Each manufacturer will have their own production process and procedures; DailyClack has little-to-no control over how these businesses operate. DailyClack simply ships what is ordered and produced.

As keycaps are made from a technique known as injection-molding, Sprue Marks are hard to avoid. These marks are the locations where the liquid-plastic gets “pushed” into a keycap mold.

Once installed onto a keyboard and viewed at a normal typing distance, these markings are not visible and don't effect usability.

Different manufacturers have different techniques, so the location of these marks will vary.

GMK - Doubleshot Cherry Profile

The back of a GMK keycap

CRP Hammerworks - Dye-Sub Cherry Profile

The back of a CRP keycap

JTK - Doubleshot Cherry Profile

The back of a JTK keycap

Keyrelative - Dye-Sub KAT Profile

The underside of a dye-sub KAT keycap

Signature Plastics - Doubleshot SA Profile

SP SA keycaps can have sprue marks on any four sides


The back of a SP SA Row 1 keycap


The front of a SP SA Row 1 keycap


The sprue mark is not visible at normal typing distance


Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article